At SIB we have created the SIB PhD Training Network, a community support for PhD students carrying out their research in bioinformatics or computational biology in Switzerland. The SIB PhD Training Network aims to foster interactions and exchanges among SIB PhD students and to train them in the most up-to-date methods necessary for their doctoral research. The laureates of the SIB Fellowship Programme are among its members.
PhD students working in a group that is member of SIB and who have been announced to SIB, are automatically regular members of the SIB PhD Training Network.
PhD students not working in an SIB group can apply for membership.
Questions or suggestions regarding the SIB PhD Training Network can be addressed to the Network coordinator Gregoire Rossier from the SIB Training group, or to the Network delegates Amel Bekkar from the SIB / Vital-IT group and Lorenzo Gatti from SIB and Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW). Amel and Lorenzo collaborate with Gregoire on the organization of the different activities.
PhD Training Network activities
The members of the SIB PhD Training Network (TN) can benefit from the following activities:
- International seasonal schools: Each year, the TN teams up with another PhD doctoral institution to treat a cutting-edge topic of common interest. Taking place in the Swiss mountains, the events promote interaction among the students and the internationally renowned speakers.
- Graduate level courses: Organized in compact blocks on the campus of one of the SIB partner institutions, these courses are conceived to treat in depth key bioinformatics methodologies.
- Retreats: these annual meetings, reserved to the TN members, combine interactive sessions in which the students can both present their work as well as network with their peers.
- “Best practices in programming”: These hands-on annual workshops show starting PhD students how to improve the quality of their software.
- [BC]2 and SIB Days: TN members are encouraged to attend the scientific meetings of SIB, intended to foster scientific as well as social interactions between SIB members. The annual general meeting is usually organized during this event. The next general meeting is scheduled 28 June 2018.