What do we do?
Our group is driven by the passion of expanding nature’s repertoire by designing novel functional proteins to be used for practical purposes such as therapeutics, vaccines and biosensors for instance.
The broader vision of our research is to characterize our newly designed proteins at several levels: in silico, in vitro and, if applicable, in vivo. An example of such workflow for vaccine design purposes is represented below.
Highlights 2016Our group was awarded an ERC starting grant to support our algorithmic developments in the computational design of de novo proteins.
We made important advances on a number of computational tools, including an updated version of the Rosetta Fold From Loops protocol and web-based tool to enable the design of de novo proteins for non-expert users.
Using our new methodologies, we designed several novel proteins to serve as immunogens for the development of an RSV vaccine. We characterized these proteins experimentally and started animal studies. These novel technologies will soon be used for the design of immunogens for other important pathogens.
Main publications 2016
- Blackburn MC, Petrova E, Correia BE, Maerkl SJ. "Integrating gene synthesis and microfluidic protein analysis for rapid protein engineering". Nucleic Acid Res. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkv1497
- Silva DA, Correia BE, Procko E. "Motif-Driven Design of Protein-Protein Interfaces". Methods Mol Biol. 1414:285-304.
- Backus K*, Correia BE*, Lum K, Forli S, Horning B, Gonzalez-Paez G, Chatterjee S, Lanning B, Teijaro J, Olson A, Wolan D, Cravatt BF (2016). "Proteome-wide covalent ligand discovery in native biological systems". Nature, 534, 570-4.
- Mousa JJ, Sauer MF, Sevy AM, Finn JA, Bates JT, Alvarado G, King HG, Loerinc LB, Fong RH, Doranz BJ, Correia BE, Kalyuzhniy O, Wen X, Jardetzky TS, Schief WR, Ohi MD, Meiler J, Crowe JE Jr. "Structural basis for nonneutralizing antibody competition at antigenic site II of the respiratory syncytial virus fusion protein". PNAS, 113, E6849-E6858.
- Matthews ML, He L, Horning BD, Olson EJ, Correia BE, Yates III JR, Dawson PE, Cravatt BF. "Chemo- proteomic profiling and discovery of protein electrophiles in human cells". Nature Chemistry. doi:10.1038/nchem.2645.
- Sarti E, Gladich I, Zamuner S, Correia BE, Laio A. "Protein-protein structure prediction by scoring molecular dynamics trajectories of putative poses". Proteins. 1312-20. doi: 10.1002/prot.25079.